Divisions > Beginner / Green
Welcome To Hockey!
- The Green Division is the entry point to the NCWHL, combining beginning players with those that have acquired basic skills.
- The Green division has no minimum requirements. Evaluation of skill does not occur.
- The skill set of a green player is any player who does not meet the criteria for the red division.
- Each team is assigned a coach who will help with individual player and team development.
- The season consists of pre-game learning sessions, games and practices, additional pickup and subbing opportunities may be available dependent on ice availability.
- The green division is a great place to learn how to play hockey in a fun, encouraging environment while also offering a competitive environment for basic level skaters to build upon their skills.
Green Division Coaching Guideline
For individuals interested in becoming a coach for a green team, please read through a PDF of coaching guidelines for the Green division.
Hockey requires drills, conditioning and practice to improve ability and leg strength needed to advance into a new division. The NCWHL recommends skating more than once a week to improve your chance of succeeding in division evaluations.
Recommended steps to improve skills
- Attend all Green practices
- Play in every game
- Seek sub opportunities in your division and the level above [subject to division sizes]
- Speak with your coaches about what skills need work
- Skate at Public Ice sessions
- Skate at Sharks Ice Stick Times [see rinks for schedules]
- Attend skating and shooting clinics
Evaluations are held twice a year prior to a new season. This is the only method for changing divisions. Refer to these rules for further information.