Players seeking advancement to the Maroon Division must meet this list of skills criteria. Players are also placed in the Maroon Division if their skills do not meet the Blue (Advanced) Criteria.
- Always moving – can accelerate or change direction easily.
- Can skate entire surface while challenged, quickly and without falling.
- Keeps pace with game at this level.
- Able to stop on either side, efficiently and in control.
- Able to step out of stop in new direction with acceleration.
- Able to skate forward crossovers, consistently and at speed.
- Able to skate backwards smoothly and with speed.
- Smooth transition from backward to forward skating and forward to backward skating.
- Is able to make turns and cuts.
- Chases loose puck.
- Able to “play the body”.
- Able to keep the puck in the offensive zone while playing defense.
- Able to pass and receive the puck, challenged.
- Deliberate attempt to pass to someone, consistently.
- Able to pass and receive on backhand or forehand, on the move.
- Minimal rebound off stick.
- Two hands on stick, stick on ice consistently.
- Able to puck-handle entire ice surface with minor challenge.
- Has mastered one forehand shot and backhand shot using proper technique – can aim shot.
- Able to lift puck while shooting on goal.
- Has developed strength in shot.
Game Knowledge & Experience
- Forechecks and backchecks opposition.
- Able to cover opposition (woman for woman).
- Able to cycle to other positions (including forward covering defense).
- Skates to open pass.
- Play the “box” on penalty kill.
- Can play more than one position.
- Drives to net.
- Makes extra effort to clear the zone.
- Does not go offsides.
- Consistently clean changes on the fly, without instruction.
- Changes while on offense.
- Comes directly to bench to change quickly.
- Communicates respectfully with referees, coach, players and line-mates.
- Offers helpful and positive feedback to coaches and players.